On Tue, 15 May 2001, Jonathan Peterson wrote:
> At 12:48 15/05/01 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >extension number.  I simply don't want people phoning me up who refuse to
> >own up to who they are before they invade my privacy.
>
> <This response inspired by not directed at previous poster i.e. not
> personal>
>

> Yeah, me neither. Damn strangers, I don't talk to them and neither do my
> kids.

encouraging your kids not to speak to strangers is not without merit.

<snip>

> It's just invasion of privacy I'm against.

well .. I believe you have extended the analogy just a little bit too far
:) . .the main reason _I_  decline to answer 'withheld number' calls is
because almost every single one is a halfwit trying to sell me
insurance/glazing/burglar alarms/toilet roll (yes.. really) even though
I am registered with the TPS .. If they were anything like legal, decent
honest or truthful they would have no problem with releasing the number
.. the fact that they don;t tells me something about their methods of
doing business. At least when someone approaches you in the street you can
tell in advance if they have something like a reasonable query or a
clipboard and leaflet.

Its much the same reason I have a kill file and sometime enable the RBL
options in sendmail .. junk crap winds me up, phone calls, mail, email.
Find me a spammer and I'll find something slow and lingering to do to it.

--
Robin Szemeti

Redpoint Consulting Limited
Real Solutions For A Virtual World