* Simon Cozens ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 10:06:22PM +0100, Greg McCarroll wrote:
> > of RFC's along the lines of `Perl must stay Perl', but because
> > the next leap forward is VisualPerl which will be as much about
> > IDE as core language. Now lets not get hung up on the IDE bit
> > of that statement
>
> So, let me get this right - you want to discuss something which is
> equal value IDE and core language, without discussing the IDE, yes? :)

Yip, i want to discuss the line down the middle between the IDE and
the Language/Engine. The original post meant to state that the only way
Perl could leap forward in a way that would shock/surprise people would
be to significantly change the way people worked with the language.

Object orientation was one such shift, Visual Basic/Delphi was another
such shift (and i'm not just talking about the GUI builder bit). In
fact high level languages with text editors is another.

--
Greg McCarroll                          http://www.mccarroll.uklinux.net