I don't think is it possible to service non-unix clients without
installing samba. All samba really does for you in a printing situation
is transfer the printfile to a temp file on your Solaris server and run
your print command to process that file.

I don't know anything about Macs but windows clients do fine with samba.

When you set up samba, keep it really simple to start with. Just set up
one printer share at first, and be explicit with the commands required
to print in the printer share definition. Remember, the printer command
is what you tell samba, so you can make the samba server do anything
you want with the temp file. As well as any other tasks you might want
to happen during printing.

BTW, you seem to be suffering from task overload, which is a name used
to describe what happened to fighter pilots in WWII when there was too
much happening around them to keep track of and they became disoriented
during a dogfight. The results were what you might expect.

I would first install samba on your Solaris server, and throughly test
it out from the Solaris server. You can put the printing and file shares
through their paces without having to use a networked client, Solaris or
otherwise.  Once that all works, then try printing from the networked
non-unix clients. Remember, windows clients will do their own filtering of
the print job. Your solaris server will likely simply dump the printfile to
the printer using a queue which has no print filter or whose print filter does
not try to format the job.  Keep it simple. For example, at first, install the
printing software locally on your clients, don't try to configure your
server to download the software to your clients at the start. This stuff
is all really simple once you see what is going on.

If you need some help with print filters, and you really shouldn't to
print from windows clients, read my write up of filters with LPRng at
the linux stepbystep site.  http://linux.nf/stepbystep.html
Search for filters hammer.

Joel