Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> Yes, I have since fixed the permissions -- sorry about that.
>
> I am running file 3.4.1, just because I am leery of switching to a
> completely different rev without knowing the affect it will have on LPRng.
> AFAIK, 3.4.1 is the most recent 3.x release.

Ryan,
This is definitely interesting.  On our (now old & creaky) SYSV Unix box,
running the file that came with it, Here's what I see for your two files:
        Job927-df-PCL.prn:      data
        Job927-df-data.prn:     English text
(Can't make it tell me what the rev on file is.)

On our RH Linux (old - RH 6.2) system, which is running file 3.28, I get:
        Job927-df-PCL.prn:  HP Printer Job Language data
        Job927-df-data.prn: data

The "HP Printer Job Language data" is what you'd want it to show, am I right?
The relevant entries from the magic file are somewhere in this mess, I think:

-----snip-----snip-----snip-----snip-----snip-----snip-----snip-----snip-----
# HP Printer Job Language
0       string          [EMAIL PROTECTED]       HP Printer Job Language data
# HP Printer Job Language
# The header found on Win95 HP plot files is the "Silliest Thing possible"
# (TM)
# Every driver puts the language at some random position, with random case
# (LANGUAGE and Language)
# For example the LaserJet 5L driver puts the "PJL ENTER LANGUAGE" in line 10
# From: Uwe Bonnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
#
0       string          [EMAIL PROTECTED]       HP Printer Job Language data
>&0     string          >\0                     %s
>>&0    string          >\0                     %s
>>>&0   string          >\0                     %s
#>15    string          \ ENTER\ LANGUAGE\ =
#>31    string          PostScript              PostScript

# HP Printer Control Language, Daniel Quinlan ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
0       string          \033E\033       HP PCL printer data
>3      string          \&l0A           - default page size
>3      string          \&l1A           - US executive page size
>3      string          \&l2A           - US letter page size
>3      string          \&l3A           - US legal page size
>3      string          \&l26A          - A4 page size
>3      string          \&l80A          - Monarch envelope size
>3      string          \&l81A          - No. 10 envelope size
>3      string          \&l90A          - Intl. DL envelope size
>3      string          \&l91A          - Intl. C5 envelope size
>3      string          \&l100A         - Intl. B5 envelope size
>3      string          \&l-81A         - No. 10 envelope size (landscape)
>3      string          \&l-90A         - Intl. DL envelope size (landscape)
-----snip-----snip-----snip-----snip-----snip-----snip-----snip-----snip-----

I suggest that you look at your magic file.  Consider patching these things
in.  On later revs of RedHat, we've had to run file with a special option
to create a file called (IIRC) magic.mgc before any changes have any effect;
I'd guess that's for a later rev of file than you're running, but I really
don't know & can't check right now.

I'll actually *look* at your files tomorrow when I find time.

--
- Dave Lovelace
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]