Russell,

I've had a lot of experience with LPRng on AIX and in my opinion, replacing the AIX queueing system is a good thing to do.

-Rick

Russell Adams wrote:
I'm currently rebuilding our print infrastructure to use LPRng. I'll
have OpenVMS and AIX client systems forwarding print to a pair of
Redhat boxen running LPRng. We've used LPRng for many years on Intel
boxen with great success, and are even purchasing commercial support
(Thanks Patrick!).

Due to issues I'm having on AIX with remote queues printing to OpenVMS
via lpr, I'm contemplating replacing AIX's proprietary queuing system
with LPRng.

What degree of success have others had in using LPRng on AIX?

I'm disappointed in the AIX printing subsystem, and like the idea of
using LPRng cross-platform wherever possible. However, this may not be
a popular decision with management, and I'm looking for supporting
evidence to justify the decision. This would also be the first time we
would run LPRng on a non-(Linux/Intel) machine.

Currently, half my queues are in a down state at regular intervals on
AIX even though the remote queues are always available, resulting in
the creation of a cron job that runs every 15 minutes that forces
queue restarts on all queues.

Any input is appreciated!

Russell Adams
Systems Administrator
Kelsey-Seybold Clinics
Houston, TX

with:                           | example:
subscribe LIST <mailaddr>       |  subscribe lprng-digest [EMAIL PROTECTED]
unsubscribe LIST <mailaddr>     |  unsubscribe lprng [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you have major problems,  send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the word
LPRNGLIST in the SUBJECT line.

-- |Rick Cochran phone: 607-255-7618| |Cornell CIT - Systems & Operations - Net-Print FAX: 607-255-8521| |730 Rhodes Hall, Ithaca, N.Y. 14853 email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]|