On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Rick Cochran wrote:

> Russell,
>
> I've had a lot of experience with LPRng on AIX and in my opinion,
> replacing the AIX queueing system is a good thing to do.

I agree completely.

We have replaced all printing everywhere (AIX, IRIX, Solaris and
Linux) with lprng.

Except for the Linux machines which use the vendor supplied packages
we have compiled lprng ourself using vac on AIX, MipsPRO on IRIX and
gcc on Solaris.

The big benefits as I see it is that we now have one printcap for all
hosts including the server and since lprng has a sane design you don't
have to run an lpd on every client. We have a rather small
installation, but I guess the config issue gets bigger when throwing
more machines into the mix.

The two main issues with AIX is usually the printing subsystem and the
runtime linker. Ignoring the AIX printing weirdness and using lprng
instead is a good choice. Too bad there isn't an easy way to get the
linker to behave like others (-brtl easing the pain somewhat though
;).

An annoying thing with replacing the AIX printing subsystem is that
you can't deinstall printers.rte and friends. So, we have them
installed and let our post-patch-cleanup-script remove /usr/bin/lpr
and friends. Relying on users having /usr/local/bin first in their
path is a bad idea in our experience.

/Nikke