> From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thu Feb 12 12:58:08 2004
> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:53:42 -0600
> From: Russell Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: LPRng: LPRng printing and AIX
>
> I'm currently rebuilding our print infrastructure to use LPRng. I'll
> have OpenVMS and AIX client systems forwarding print to a pair of
> Redhat boxen running LPRng. We've used LPRng for many years on Intel
> boxen with great success, and are even purchasing commercial support
> (Thanks Patrick!).
>
> Due to issues I'm having on AIX with remote queues printing to OpenVMS
> via lpr, I'm contemplating replacing AIX's proprietary queuing system
> with LPRng.
>
> What degree of success have others had in using LPRng on AIX?
>
> I'm disappointed in the AIX printing subsystem, and like the idea of
> using LPRng cross-platform wherever possible. However, this may not be
> a popular decision with management, and I'm looking for supporting
> evidence to justify the decision. This would also be the first time we
> would run LPRng on a non-(Linux/Intel) machine.
>
> Currently, half my queues are in a down state at regular intervals on
> AIX even though the remote queues are always available, resulting in
> the creation of a cron job that runs every 15 minutes that forces
> queue restarts on all queues.
>
> Any input is appreciated!
>
> Russell Adams
> Systems Administrator
> Kelsey-Seybold Clinics
> Houston, TX

I installed and ran LPRng on several AIX systems.  Well, actually,
somebody else did the work and reported that it worked 'out of the box'
after they solved some compiler issues and library issues.

The recipe seemed to be:

a) install GNU make
b) install GCC (or find out how to get 'true ANSI' to work on the
   default compiler).
c) configure
d) read a couple of error messages about 'missing stuff', look at the
   include files,  find the right #ifdefs to enable, then run configure again with:
   env 'CFLAGS=-D... -I...' configure
   so that the right parts of various include files are picked up.
e) You might want to read the STANDARD_install script, modify it, and
   use this to do the configure,  as it puts the executables in /usr/bin
   rather than /usr/local/bin
f) Figure out where the library to use to get the resolver (DNS) support to be
   linked in correctly.  You may need to add a -L... option:
   env 'CFLAGS=-D... -I...' 'LDFLAGS=-L...' configure

Patrick Powell