Another limitations with IGPs is that the adjacencies are single hop. We had
proposed a solution for this for OSPF but it didn’t get a lot of momentum. It
would have handled the BGP-LS requirement.

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-acee-ospf-transport-instance-03.txt

From: Lsr <lsr-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net>
Date: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 7:36 PM
To: "hhws...@xs4all.nl" <hhws...@xs4all.nl>
Cc: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsb...@cisco.com>, Tony Li <tony...@tony.li>,
"lsr@ietf.org" <lsr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] IS-IS over TCP

All,

Again, if people think that LSVR is a good idea, then how can they
think that ISIS flooding over TCP is not a good idea ? This is
the base idea for our proposal. A quick look at the LSVR draft
show people from Cisco, Nokia (and Arrcus). (I'm not sure what
Juniper or Arista or other vendors think about using BGP-LS).

I would like to make one additional observation here ...

We are experiencing BGP-LS crusade (completely outside of LSVR) as there is
some demand to send data carried by IGP (incl SR, TE and now even BFD
extensions) to remote controllers over TCP.

I am pretty sure that BGP-LS would have never started if we would have had an
ability to send LSDB content over TCP day one. /* Let's put controller to
controller NNI across ASes aside for a moment. */

With that to me ability to progress with TCP transport extension for ISIS (and
OSPF) is actually more important then work on flooding reduction. I know it may
not be a popular statement, but that is based on both looking at the
operational side as well as BGP protocol side.

Thx,
R.