Hi Robert,

From: Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net>
Date: Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 5:34 AM
To: Peter Psenak <ppsenak=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Cc: Linda Dunbar <linda.dun...@futurewei.com>, Tony Li <tony...@tony.li>,
"lsr@ietf.org" <lsr@ietf.org>, Bruno Decraene <bruno.decra...@orange.com>, Acee
Lindem <a...@cisco.com>, "Acee Lindem (acee)" <acee=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] draft-ietf-lsr-flex-algo

I believe flex-algo with additional constraints would be sufficient.

Aren't we putting too much operational complexity to the operators ?

The architecture supports it additional constraints. Nobody says they have to
be used. This is an interesting comment coming from the originator of
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-idr-wide-bgp-communities-05.txt   😉

How can anyone practically assure that such constraints will be understood
across a zoo of software versions and various implementations ?

IIRC, only routers supporting the FAD will participate in the flex algorithm
computation. I’ll defer to the authors for elaboration as I’m busy with
something else right now.

For well known metrics it could be ok - but for new metrics and selective use
in FAD I am afraid this is going to be a pandora box.

Best,
R.