Peter,

Technically I see no justification to run any service within your own
domian over IPSec.

In those cases simple IP encapsulation works fine.

So let's zoom on this scenario ... Your PEs communicate over IP
encapsulation which does not require any connection establishment.

They start to exchange packets using  summary routes.

PE1 goes down and PULSE reaches remote PE2 - then what exactly is to happen
there ?

In RIB you still have valid summary route. You do not have in RIB /32 for
remote PE1. PULSE comes and what ?

If you run BGP it could trigger next hop invalidation and best path re-run.
But there is no BGP as you say.

Depending on how you implement encapsulation you could remove such encap
rewrite from FIB, but for how long ? And what will tell you that the remote
PE is up again ?

All in all for PULSE to directly affect the data plane I think lot's of new
code needs to be written, tested and deployed. Leave alone aspect of
network wide flooding of those PULSEs.

Many thx,
R.