Hi Les,

I think using IGP to *discover* some services is perfectly fine.

For example many years ago I proposed to use IGP to automatically discover
BGP route reflectors for the sole purpose of bgp auto discovery. After that
originally BGP friends suggested that we will do faster if we do not touch
IGP so I moved the proposal to be fully BGP based. However very recently I
see new requirements popping up to also support it with IGP.

I guess for you this would be a "service or an application" and would meet
resistance - understand that opinion.

Here however we are talking about so tiny information to be added to IGP to
help with seamless operation that frankly I do not understand your
resistance at all. Modulo so heavy commitment to PULSE of course
which this proposal could freeze.

> The service itself doesn’t even need to be running on a router at all.

That is true.

But for the service to be efficient it should at least listen to the local
area IGP to listen to LSAs/LSPs.

Now of course discovery of this "server" can be realized out of band (say
by CLI). But it beats me why we would not support auto discovery of such a
service if it happens to run on an IGP node.

What harm would such additional discovery do to the LSDB, CPU, memory,
traffic ???

Kind regards,
Robert