"Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsb...@cisco.com> writes:

Chris -

The scale request comes from real customers. So, it is understandable for you to be
"aghast" - but it is a real request.

I'm not aghast. The exclamation point was just a period scaled to the 100K PE
level. :)

BTW, earlier in the thread I asked if every PE actually would need the liveness
detection for every other PE (full-mesh) and Peter indicated that this was not
the case. So 5M, while not unreasonable for a network of this size, is
additionally a pathological case. I think it's important to consider this
less-than-full-mesh attribute when talking about this deployment.

Finally, for this model deployment I'll ask again, how many *total* routers are
there in this network?

Thanks,
Chris.
[as wg member]

As far as BFD goes, my opinion is this won’t scale. There is a significant
difference between operating sessions which continuously monitor liveness in a
full mesh versus using some approach which only triggers network-wide traffic
when some topology change is locally detected. There are multiple approaches
being discussed which do the latter - but BFD is not one of them.

You can disagree - or - as Greg has done - say we don’t really have to consider
this scale. I am not going to try to convince you otherwise.
But if so you aren’t solving the problem we have been asked to solve.

   Les