Hi Les,

Yes you are correct. It is a classic pull vs push model.

Push gives you notification about state. That's it.

Pull gives you much more as it includes e2e elements of the data plane - of
course for a bit higher cost.

I would not disregard any of the above.

We have been having similar discussions in the past - I am sure some of us
still remember MARP proposal from Alvaro and Russ inspired by David Oran's
idea. While it was L2 switch centric I mention it here to highlight how a
cool idea went nowhere ... ref:
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-retana-marp-02.txt and how the end to end
pull model overwhelmed it.

At least we could learn from it for the WAN now. Perhaps fully
coincidentally it is also very similar to proposed by Tony pub-sub model.

Thx,
R.