From: Lsr <lsr-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Greg Mirsky
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2022 7:06 PM
To: Aijun Wang <wang...@chinatelecom.cn>
Cc: lsr <lsr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] How to forward the solutions for "Prefixes Unreachable
Notification" problem

Hi Aijun,
I believe that under Option D you can add multihop BFD per RFC 5883. No new
protols needed.

Regards,
Greg

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022, 18:17 Aijun Wang
<wang...@chinatelecom.cn<mailto:wang...@chinatelecom.cn>> wrote:
Hi, All:

As Peter’s example and Acee’s suggestions, let’s focus on the following problem
to think how to solve it efficiently and reasonably:
Scenario: 100 areas each with 1000 PEs (100K total PEs) with 2 ABRs per area
Problem: Overlay services(BGP or Tunnel) that rely on the IGP needs to be
notified immediately when the remote Peer failed, to assist such overlay
service accomplish fast switchover(how to switchover is out of the discussion)
Potential Solutions:
   There are now mainly four categories of the solutions, as described below
and their brief analysis:
   Category A: PUA/PULSE. Utilizes the existing IGP mechanism to
transport/flooding the notification message.
   Category B: Detail/Important Prefixes Leaks. Bypass the summary side-effect
for some detailed/important prefixes by leaking/not summarize them into each
area.
   Category C: BGP based solution: Utilize the existing BGP infrastructure to
transport the notification message
   Category D: OOB Solution. Design some new OOB protocol to transport the
notification message.

Because we are in LSR WG, and people are all IGP experts. After the intense
discussion, can we now focus on the Category A/B?
It is very curious that LSR WG will and should produce some BGP or OOB based
solution. I think they may be feasible, but should be evaluated/discussed by
other WGs.
Or else, I think we can’t converge to one standard solution.

>From the POV of the operator, we prefer to the IGP based solution. If there is
>no unsolvable concerns, let’s accept it. I think there is enough interests and
>experts to accomplish this task.

Best Regards

Aijun Wang
China Telecom