That's true.

I am pointing out that this in some networks may be much slower then
invalidating the next hops from BGP route reflectors by running *local*
multihop BFD sessions to subject PEs (all within an area).

So I have a question ... Let's forget about BGP and RRs and just stay
focused on IGP:

Would it be feasible to trigger UPA on ABRs by running multihop BFD
sessions between ABRs and local area PEs and not wait for PE-P detection of
link down as well as flooding to carry the information to ABRs ?

Thx,
R.