Tony –

In the spirit of a friendly discussion…

From: Lsr <lsr-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Tony Przygienda
Sent: Thursday, February 29, 2024 10:33 AM
To: Acee Lindem <acee.i...@gmail.com>
Cc: lsr <lsr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] bunch comments on
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lsr-ospf-admin-tags

1. you can easily rectify by saying, if you have  tags for same prefix from
multiple nodes you prefere lowest router ID or maybe "sort on router id and
then interleave" or something. depending how much of fully fledged
specification you want here

[LES:] As Acee has pointed out, the IS-IS RFC (written many years ago)
explicitly stayed away from this sort of thing.
Are you saying that your experience with IS-IS has been unsatisfactory? If so,
why aren’t you lobbying for changes to IS-IS? (Not that I am encouraging you to
do so… 😊 )

2. we miss each other. I just say this sub-TLV being empty is NOT specified
(i.e. behavior is undefined) if anyone sends such a thing
[LES:] From the POV of parsing, if you send a TLV with 0 length, it does no
harm. Your parsing logic will just move on to the next TLV. I don’t see the
need to specify any behavior.
Of course, it is useless to send this TLV with no content – so if your
implementation wants to report that as an encoding error that seems reasonable
to me.
If you send a length of 0 but actually have content, that is a serious encoding
error – but that is a generic issue that seems outside the scope of this draft.

   Les

-- tony

On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 7:13 PM Acee Lindem
<acee.i...@gmail.com<mailto:acee.i...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi Tony,

> On Feb 28, 2024, at 2:01 AM, Tony Przygienda
> <tonysi...@gmail.com<mailto:tonysi...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> hey Acee, inline
>

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 3:30 AM Acee Lindem
> <acee.i...@gmail.com<mailto:acee.i...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> Thanks for the review.
>
>> On Feb 27, 2024, at 04:51, Tony Przygienda
>> <tonysi...@gmail.com<mailto:tonysi...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Reading the draft quickly, here's bunch of observations
>>
>> "
>>
>> An OSPF router supporting this specification MUST be able to
>> advertise and interpret at least one 32-bit tag for all type of
>> prefixes. An OSPF router supporting this specification MAY be able
>> to advertise and propagate multiple 32-bit tags. The maximum tags
>> that an implementation supports is a local matter depending upon
>> supported applications using prefix tags.
>> "
>>

>> Since different implementations may support different amount of tags I see
>> that the draft says
>>
>> "
>> When propagating multiple tags, the order
>> of the the tags SHOULD be preserved.
>>
>> "
>>

>> this is IMO not good enough in case where two nodes advertise same prefix
>> with multiple tags, possibly differing or in different order. Some kind of
>> ordering is necessary then as well AFAIS.
>>

> I guess I don’t see the problem. A policy would look for a specific tag and
> take a specific action.
>
> Note that for IS-IS tags so require ordering, see section 4 of
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc5130/.
> I could possibly appropriate some of this text as it applies to OSPF.
>

> my point is that if you have multiple nodes advertising some prefix with
> different 3 tag combinations and you choose to only support 3 tags the result
> is undefined by this draft as to which tags propagate at the end, so the
> "order should be preserved" doesn't help

I agree this could be a problem if you have this situation but I don’t see how
advertising the tags in any particular order rectifies it. Also, since an OSPF
domain is under a single administrative domain, I also don’t understand why
anyone would configure such a situation. You could also have a problem if you
have different nodes supporting different policies for the same prefix. Unless
you can convince me, I’m going to stick with the IS-IS semantics for multiple
tags. From RFC  5130.

      The semantics of the tag order are implementation-dependent. That
       is, there is no implied meaning to the ordering of the tags that
       indicates a certain operation or set of operations need be performed
       based on the order of the tags. Each tag SHOULD be treated as an
       autonomous identifier that MAY be used in policy to perform a policy
       action. Whether or not tag A precedes or succeeds tag B SHOULD not
       change the meaning of the tag set. However, when propagating TLVs
       that contain multiple tags between levels, an implementation SHOULD
       preserve the ordering such that the first tag remains the first tag,
       so that implementations that only recognize a single tag will have a
       consistent view across levels.

>> "
>> This sub-TLV will carry one or more 32-bit unsigned integer values
>> that will be used as administrative tags.
>> "
>>

>> IMO behavior when none are carried nees to be specified if this is mandated.
>> is that a MUST in fact?
>>

>  The sub-TLV is optional so if it isn’t specified than there are no tags to
> match. What am I missing here?
>
> it says "one or more" so the sub=-tlv without anything has no semantics. is
> that an operational error, is that normal (then why does the draft say one or
> more). it's a nit but those nits can be ugly in interops

I clearly state that the sub-TLV is optional.