Acee -

Consider two ABRs propagating a prefix they received with three tags. One ABR
supports only one tag and one ABR supports two tags.
How do we insure that at least one tag is in common when the prefix is
propagated?

Given that the only MUST here is that all implementations MUST support the
first tag, it seems prudent to insure that the first tag is always propagated
and it is always the first.
Otherwise, routers will receive two advertisements for the same prefix and the
first tag may differ.

I am not talking here about constraining local policies - it is already a given
that if a customer wants to make use of multiple tags there is no assurance
that all routers will support that.
But we have specified that the first tag always remain the first. Mandating
that on propagation insures that any policy associated with the first tag will
work network-wide.

If you are not convinced, so be it - we have lived with the lax language in RFC
5130 for years. But some things may not be working because of that.

   Les