On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 09:25 +0700, Donny Christiaan wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> We are going to setup a new LTSP Server for our company.
> There will be around 10-20 terminals connect to this server, running
> default application below:
> - SAP GUI
> - OpenOffice.org
> - Evolution (Mail Client)
>
> I need your suggestion about Hardware Specification that fit our needs,
> We are also plan to have RAID-1 or RAID-5 on this server for reliability.
>
> We plan to buy new low-end branded Server (IBM/Dell/HP/etc) for this
> LTSP Server, which server are compatible with Ubuntu 7.04 because We
> will use Ubuntu 7.04 on the LTSP Server or do you guys have any
> suggestion for the Distro? What about K12LTSP ?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.
> I really need your suggestion.

Donny,
I can't tell you which server to buy, but I can offer you a few things
to keep in mind.

1. AMD Opterons seem to handle true multitasking better than Intel chips
because the AMD chips have a much higher bandwidth between the CPU and
memory.  See Google for details.

2. I've had great results with 3ware's 9000 series SATA RAID
controllers.  They are very fast, have an optional battery backup that
will keep unwritten data in the cache alive even if there is a complete
power failure, and 3ware has been very easy to work with.

3. Make sure that SAPGUI will work when 20 people connect from the same
IP address.  The last time I worked with ŚAP, they required each user to
have a separate IP address.  If this is still the case, you will need to
get SAPGUI running as a local app; this is not difficult, but it can be
time-consuming.

-David