On 10/2/07, David Johnston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I can't tell you which server to buy, but I can offer you a few things
> to keep in mind.

Same for me.

> 2. I've had great results with 3ware's 9000 series SATA RAID
> controllers.  They are very fast, have an optional battery backup that
> will keep unwritten data in the cache alive even if there is a complete
> power failure, and 3ware has been very easy to work with.

Don't do RAID-5 unless you have such a card with backup battery;
You will have a really long downtime if you have to restore backups.
If you want high reliability, have a spare card too (with same firmware).

> 3. Make sure that SAPGUI will work when 20 people connect from the same
> IP address.  The last time I worked with ŚAP, they required each user to
> have a separate IP address.  If this is still the case, you will need to
> get SAPGUI running as a local app; this is not difficult, but it can be
> time-consuming.

You can probably do this with ip-aliases and a iptable rule for each
user, without running as al local app.

--
Sebastien Koechlin