Back in the good ol' days of LTSP 3, I managed to have clients booting
from three different flavours of LTSP, each the one it could run best
on. There were clients which needed special versions to be able to boot
or run, newer versions didn't run on them.

Well, I don't know if it's really necessary to totally switch back to
4.2 for your etherboot clients. After all, this is only the way they get
their first boot image from. I used to have both etherboot and PXE
clients for a while living happily together and getting each their
specific kernel image. You just have to specify this in /etc/dhcpd.conf.
But it's early in the morning, didn't have a coffee yet ;-)

I even remember vaguely a discussion(?) about switching from one booting
process into the other, so there might be a way calling PXE from
Etherboot. If you can live with 4.2, however, it should be no problem to
install it anywhere else completely separated from KIWI for those clients.

Rolf