On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 11:58 PM, Alkis Georgopoulos <alk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thoughts?

This is the first I've heard of this, so please excuse my ignorance.
Is this going to be the single method going forward or will do you
plan to preserve the old way for some foreseeable future?

I admin a network of 80 or so thin clients that all use LTSP to boot
and run RDP, so here are my concerns with the new system you're
describing.

1. Having to reboot with each update of the image. As you know,
rebooting the server kills the rootfs on the NBD client, so things
stop working when you reboot the server. Usually RDP continues
working, but the biggest loss for us in this situation is that the
thin clients will fail to shut down automatically (which they should
daily), and we can't ssh into them, so a walkabout to power-cycle them
is the only way to get them back. On the upshot, if it's a planned
reboot then we can proactively shutdown or reboot the clients before
rebuilding the image, but even so this takes away our ability to
update the image during regular working hours.

2. Installing all packages on the server. Considering we're only doing
RDP, I'm not sure how much of a burden this will be, but our LTSP
server is currently rather minimal and runs in a virtual machine. If
this change will require a full desktop on the server then my RAM
requirements are going up significantly.

My second concern is comparatively minor. I would really hate to have
to reboot with every image update though, as things tend to happen
here in a day at work, and it sure is nice to be able to tweak
something on the fly and not have to bring everybody down.

db