Στις 06/04/2012 02:31 μμ, ο/η Jay Goldberg έγραψε:
> I'm sure that you are aware that LVM will do snapshots as well? Maybe
> this can be used to avoid the reboot?

For starters, we'll try running ltsp-publish-image while the server is
running. I believe that in most cases that will run fine, and I'll try
to put some code to disable package updates or cron jobs at that point.

I also have code for `ltsp-publish-image --revert` to revert to the last
exported image, in case problems are found in the new one, so that will
also help in maximizing client uptime and avoiding server downtime.

Only if we see in practise that a server reboot is necessary, we'll
resort to `grub-reboot --set-the-ltsp-publish-image-default`.

> Even if sensitive server files bleed over to the client image, doesn't
> Ubuntu's security settings block other users anyway?

NBD or NFS exported root disks are generally insecure. I won't go into
details, I'll just say that while it needs some expertise (and a
non-LTSP client owned by the "hacker") to gain access, we should remove
all sensitive data from the published disk.

In /usr/share/ltsp-pnp/publish.d/ there are some scripts that take care
of that; sysadmins can add their own in /etc/ltsp/publish.d.

ltsp-publish-image creates a COW dir and mounts with overlayfs/aufs the
server / there, so programs like deluser can be ran in a chrooted
environment to remove users, regenerate certificates etc (while not
touching the server / at all).
I'll publish an initial ltsp-pnp version in a few days, and more
"cleanup" scripts will be added over time. It's just a matter of
pinpointing the sensitive data and erasing it, so I don't think that
we'll hit a problem that we won't be able to overcome.