Hello,

Yes, that is how optimize works - copies all existing index segments
into one unified index segment, thus optimizing it.

see hit #1: http://www.lucenebook.com/search?query=optimize+disk+space

However, three times the space sounds a bit too much, or I make a
mistake in the book. :)

You said you end up with 3 files - .cfs is one of them, right?

Otis