However, three times the space sounds a bit too much, or I make a
mistake in the book. :)

there already was a discussion about disk usage during index optimize. Please have a look to the developers list at: http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/[EMAIL PROTECTED]&msgId=1797569 <http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/[EMAIL PROTECTED]&msgId=1797569>
where i made some measurements about the disk usage within lucene.
At that time i proposed a patch which was reducing disk total used disk size from 3 times to a little more than 2 times of the final index size. Together with Christoph we implemented some improvements to the optimization patch and finally commit the changes.

Bernhard