Otis Gospodnetic writes:
> Hello,
>
> Yes, that is how optimize works - copies all existing index segments
> into one unified index segment, thus optimizing it.
>
> see hit #1: http://www.lucenebook.com/search?query=optimize+disk+space
>
> However, three times the space sounds a bit too much, or I make a
> mistake in the book. :)

I cannot explain why, but ~ three times the size of the final index is
what I observed, when I logged disk usage during optimize of an index
in compound index format.
The test was on linux, I simply did a 'du -s' every few seconds parallel
to the optimize.
I didn't test noncompund format. Probably optimizing a compund format
requires to store the different parts of the compound file separately
before joining them to the compound file (sound reasonable, otherwise
you would need to know the sizes before creating the parts). In that case
you had the original index, the separate files and the new compound file
as the disk usage peak.

So IMHO the book is wrong.

Morus