Oops! Hit the wrong button yesterday...

 It would seem that the ud was once fretted, but evolved into the fretless
 instrument we now know.  As for the courses, both stringing and tuning vary
 from country to country.  The basic configuration in Syria, for example, is
 five doubles.  Mine is Iranian and has bridge holes for six doubles, holes
 for twelve pegs, but only eleven actual pegs, and only eleven, more or less
 equally spaced, grooves in the nut. This gives me the option of a single
 additional top or bottom string.  The tutorial I have in Farsi shows an
 instrument with 5 doubles in the middle with one single above _and_ one
below them.

 Tony