On Feb 17, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Martyn Hodgson wrote:

>    Pretension: justifiable claim (OED).

I'll take that as a "no" to my question.

Martyn, I'm not entirely sure what your justification is for
advocating large theorbos only.  I realize that this has been
discussed on the list before, but as I don't want to comb through the
archives to find it, perhaps you can enlighten me as to why you think
that those who play small theorbos, especially in double reentrant
tuning, are all "daft" (perhaps you can also provide an appropriate
OED definition of "daft").

We accept the existence of the smaller French solo theorbo, and we
know that music designed for double reentrant tuning was written for
that instrument.  Doesn't that constitute a justifiable claim that it
isn't daft to string a French solo theorbo in double reentrant?

David R
dlu...@verizon.net