David:
   We have been reading your observations with some interest and wondering
   a little why you chose to make them proximate to our video posting
   yesterday.  The nicely edited video you posted last week did in fact
   inspire Donna to try her hand at making a silk purse from the
   ridiculously bad windows movie maker, which introduced some abrupt cuts
   that were made worse by Youtube.  But we're puzzled why you didn't make
   your comments in reference to your own video.
   Our video was from a session at a local recording venue, which is an
   acoustically pleasing old church.  The audio, which was unedited, was
   by a professional engineer but the video was from a few cheap cameras,
   one of which had an amateur behind it.  Nothing so smooth as the very
   professional steady hand that zoomed so well on your Monteverdi video.
   We really had nothing to prove here - no position on meantone tuning or
   anything else that would have prompted Zappa to say "shut up and play
   your guitar".  We were just interested in the reaction people might
   have if we spent a few moments cleaning up the visuals and shared what
   we thought was some good music played well with conviction and
   commitment.  The experiment has produced some interesting results.
   Yes, we're bridging the gap a bit, as we are professionals who still
   have the true amateur's love for the music, but we are by no means
   new.  (You forget that I used to play in a band with your old chum
   Brad-the teller of stories, so I know I've been around longer.)  A
   difference is that we have not had the funding and support that some
   other early music professionals enjoy.  Our CDs have minimal editing
   because we simply can't afford to go the typical route and piece
   together bits from many takes.  Our CD, Divine Amarillis, was recorded,
   mixed and finished in ten hours of studio time with no edits.  Our
   Oxford CD was made in six weeks from idea to delivery of the
   manufactured CD. Our most recent CD took a little more time but each
   piece was a complete take.  We may be old-fashioned but we think this
   approach gives the music a chance.
   We'll continue to experiment with visuals, since it seems to have
   become the standard, a fact reinforced by your pronouncement, but our
   music is the real thing.
   Best wishes,
   Ron Andrico
   www.mignarda.com
   > Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 23:10:39 -0700
   > To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   > From: vidan...@sbcglobal.net
   > Subject: [LUTE] Re: The End of the Golden Age
   >
   > The video boom will continue, you will just see more and more edited
   > stuff, along with some new names, and some famous names as well.
   > But many of the internationally known names on all
   > instruments--especially piano and violin, but lute, viol,
   > harpsichord, etc, have been waiting for the editing tools to be
   > available, and now that they are here, I think you will see a lot of
   > players of all instruments join in.
   >
   > I can tell you from a technical point of vview, it is really
   > impossible to tell if it has been edited.
   >
   > So it is just the end of one age and the beginning of another. I
   > never liked CDs, because of all the editing--between 700 and 2,000
   > per CD, and it is a shame to see video go the same way.
   >
   > But there will be many beautiful performances captured, and people
   > all over the world can see it.
   >
   > dt
   >
   > At 10:57 PM 10/10/2009, you wrote:
   >
   > >I agree with Rob's point of view, Being alone far from people and
   > >cities, videos are may way to share music with others, and an open
   > >window on the world (so many people I "virtually" met since I post)
   > >and of course not a professional promo, as I've nothing to sale...
   > >;-) Sharing passion...
   > >(I'm near one million views now... I never believe it could be
   > >possible one day, but so little regarding some rock and roll
   vids...)
   > >Golden age ? over ? why... For my sake I will go one as long as I
   > >can do it. and I don't see so many "professional" edited videos of
   > >lute music. Yes a few... But I would love to have more and more of
   > >Jacob Herringman, Paul O'Dette, Robert Barto (some already, thanks
   > >Danny, and for Ronn too) but not enough...
   > >V.
   > >
   > >----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob MacKillop"
   > ><luteplay...@googlemail.com>
   > >> I always viewed the video phenomenon as a meeting in the park or
   in the
   > >> bar, where a few of us share a few tunes and chat about our
   passion for
   > >> music. I never saw it as a professional promo.
   > >> Rob
   > >

   > >To get on or off this list see list information at
   > >http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html

   Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft. [1]Get it now.