>    Is there an easy and simple method to measure or calculate this
>    surface? (I'm not talking about some hard computer program or complex
>    mathematical formula ...we're lute makers after all ...)

you might try placing the soundboard on a sheet of graph paper, photograph
it and count the revealed squares.  Might help if half the squares were
colored like a checkerboard.

Pretty sure yuo wont get a good trace working thru the lace pattern with a
pencil point as the suondboard is thick compared to the width of the
openings.  Might get a decent rub on graph paper which could then be
square counted to give an estimate.

While photoshop has a reputation for being hard, the features I was
mentioning are not particularly difficult.  I suspect photoshop elements
would suffice, tho I used this technique long before it existed.
--
Dana Emery