On Jan 16, 2010, at 8:28 AM, Daniel Winheld wrote:

>  LP of a young Hopkinson Smith performing on the "Widhalm" lute- an
> unrestored 18 century swan-neck style 13 course instrument,
> miraculously in playing condition. No turntable, I actually don't
> know how it sounds.

Quite good, on the whole, and well worth having.  I think it suffers
a bit from the circumstances  -- museum lets musician use the
instrument for a short time for a specific project, which discourage
experimenting with stringing.  So the extension basses are prominent
and ringy and there's some clanginess to it.