Dear Eugene,

   Thank you for this. Not being at all familiar with the mandolino, I was
   unaware of, what to my mind, seems such high tension (4Kg) being
   normally employed on the finger plucked instrument of only around 32cm
   string length. No wonder someone remarked about 'iron bars'.  Did this
   sort of tension emerge by working back from the later metal strung/bent
   belly neopolitan mandolin tensions or was there some other (historical)
   source you mandolino players consulted. Clearly the Ospedale's strings
   look a very good line of enquiry.

   Generally the desirable string tension on the lute seems to relate to
   string length so that bigger instruments of the same type (eg 7 course
   lutes) mostly require higher tensions.  Dowland, for example, tells
   us that bigger lutes need thicker strings. Of course, there's some
   latitude and it seems that lute tensions probably went down with an
   increase in the number of courses around 1600 (perhaps to keep the
   instrument from collapsing), which in turn required a closer to the
   bridge plucking position - but all this is another, and well rehearsed,
   story. What I was wanting to suggest is that a lower string tension
   might well be worth exploring on the small mandolino to,
   paradoxically, achieve more volume from finger plucking.  I'm aware of
   the suggestion that 0.4mm is the thinnest gut historically possible but
   I'm not so sure how safe an assumption it is (perhaps for whole guts -
   but cannot they be split?). What if, for a test, you tried nylon 0.30mm
   on the first (if it's still available) and the rest accordingly?

   Yours even more intrigued

   Martyn