From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf
Of Suzanne Angevine
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:42 AM
To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Re: incompatibility gardening/lute playing?

>             Thank you for your very useful reflections. It is a good idea
>    to treat gardening in the same spirit as lute playing, with as relaxed
>    an attitude and with as economic gestures as possible. It has been a
>    long time since I had to do this, and I am almost certainly forcing
>    things, and also still looking for the right tools to deal with a
>    particularly hard ground.

Water, and a little time for it to work  in and loosen the soil.  I live
in a dry place and the ground can get very hard.  Water is the best tool
I've found.

>    What oil or cream do you use, Jean-Michel?

It probably matters less what, and more that you use it, and use it
enough.  In the US I use a lotion called Aveeno, which is very good.

The other thing I find very important in not ruining my hands for lute
playing with my gardening is pacing.  Do a little, take a break.  Do
some today, some tomorrow.  That sort of thing.

Suzanne