> I found that wearing heavy, preferably leather gloves tend to help prevent
> booth finger stiffness and skin roughness. It prevents getting dirt under
> the nails as well.
>

> It is interesting to look at rural cultures where the farmers also also
> musicians - fiddle players, etc. Their playing definitely is affected by
> the years of hard work; they can still play, but not always in tune or
> very fast, but they still play with a great deal of soul. Big difference
> between being able to scratch out fiddle tunes and performing Dowland or
> Weiis though.

manual labor of any kind, not just agricultural will do a number on
dexterity.

I took up guitar at age 8, was working on Sor, Villa-lobos, Milan et al
some 16 years later while also working as a programmer.  But, accessible
work opportunities failed as Massachusetts succumbed to the wrath of a
spurned Nixon, and lacking a car (even a license) I was obliged to turn to
unskilled day-labor, stacking boxes of food at a piece-work rate - a
typical day was 30 tons stacked at a little over a dollar a ton.

My guitar practice was now much more about therapy than repertoire
building.  Luckily I had a lady friend who enjoyed pounding the  kinks out
of my back muscles.

--
Dana Emery