Dear Howard

There is also quite a lot of speculation in your answer, however I doubt very
much if Mace could be so poetic and enigmatic in the book which was to simplify
things. He was defending lute's position amongst instruments so he tried to
make explanations as easy as possible. For us it's not easy because we didn't
live at that time. IMO he talks about most common things (obviously except his
dyphone, but in this case he wanted to show people his invention). I really
doubt very much that he would be inclined to make generalization after
examining just a one string and immediately wanting to share his discovery with
the whole world. In this case the whole book would be of little value for
anyone. But I don't thing this is the case. He clearly explained that many
kinds of strings were commonly dyed. Then he proceeded to give his opinion on
which ones were good, and which he found commonly faulty. This would be quite a
normal thing to write in a handbook.
As far as your objections concerning unusual colors are concerned please have a
look at the 12c lute's bridge detail of Bilcius painting (2nd half of the 17th
c). It shows string colors from bright yellow, orange, till various shades of
blue.
Obviously our arguments prove nothing (either way), we are just speculating,
but I find it entertaining to dig in some details :-)

Best wishes

Jaroslaw

Wiadomość napisana przez howard posner w dniu 7 paź 2012, o godz. 01:22: