Dear Chistopher,

        In America, I haven't found any lack of interest in lute or early
     music
        from the broader public. Many people who are intimidated by
     perceived
        ritual and stuffy atmosphere of standard classical concerts are
     drawn
        in by the look and sound of early instruments.

   Good to hear about this.

        The problem is lack of support - if not outright hostility - from
     the
        "mainstream" classical music establishment.

   That's precisely what I have been experiencing here. In my case I feel
   I've been completed ignored by the mainstream players inside and
   outside the Academy.