An Italian lutenist  told me it was the equivalent of "de-orba", to "de orb"
thus to blind, the initial, 'd' would frequently be devoiced, giving teorba,
but it is notoriously difficult to prove the etymology of a single word, and
the explanation while amusing seems "un peu tirée par les cheveux" as they say
in France.
Regards
Anthony