I used to have one. There is a lot of repertoire for it, though arguably none
of it 'big' repertoire. There is a little bit in the Wemyss ms, Panmure 4, and
there is a large number of German pieces - Reusner, for example: the printed
pieces in his books are for eleven courses, but the hand-written extras include
a twelfth course. Many German mss (including Weiss) have music which uses just
twelve courses, enough to make me wonder if there was in Germany a 12c
instrument in currency.

As for continuo, the instrument is closer to an 11c, but suitable for smaller
ensembles. If you are serious about continuo playing of English songs, then
perhaps an English theorbo would be better suited.

I often felt one more course would give me the great 13c repertoire, while one
fewer would be more apt for the French repertoire. It's a bit of an
in-betweenie, so to speak. One word of warning, that extended peghead can be a
nightmare when putting new strings on...I shed a few tears!

Rob

www.robmackillop.net