But on the other hand, it does seem plausible to me that builders experimented with adding one extra course to 11 course lutes, before they came up with the bass rider. Maybe Baron played one such experimental instrument?

Are

On 2014-05-18 18:07, Mathias Rösel wrote:
When I think of 12 course lutes, I think of the ones described by Mace, with two peg
boxes. But the lute Baron is holding looks like a regular
11 course lute with an extra course, right?

That's right.

Seems like there were two types of 12 course lutes.

As regards surviving lutes, I'm only aware of one type of 12c lutes,
viz. the double-headed lute.

As regards musical sources, 12 courses are demanded by Reusner, as
mentioned by Rob, and e.g. in D-ROu ms. Mus. Saec. XVII.18.54 (dated
around 1670). Even a composer as late as Lauffensteiner, who actually
wrote for the 11c lute, requires 12 courses in some of his pieces. I
wonder if double-headed lutes were still played around 1720. Or did
they already use a bass rider earlier than Weiss?

There is a lot of repertoire for it, though arguably none of it 'big' repertoire. There is a little bit in the Wemyss ms, Panmure 4, and there is a large
number of German pieces -

The 12c lute seems to have flourished during the same period,
roughly, as transitional tunings. Both are independent of each other,
but I like to link one to the other, playing music in French flat and
sharp (and flat-save-the-3rd-sharp, of course) tunings on the 12c lute
in Mace's pitch. Quite a few pieces surviving (1.500 pieces, or so I
seem to have read somewhere).

As for continuo, the instrument is closer to an 11c, but suitable for
smaller ensembles.

If talk is about the double headed lute, it seems clear that four
extended bass courses on the second pegbox are intended for enhanced
volume (Jacques Gaultier is remembered in the Burwell lute tutor for
his "thundering" playing), which makes these theorboed lutes suitable
for thorough bass playing. 12c lutes still are lutes, though, and not
Italian chitarroni. So, I'd guess lute song is their home area (may I
add that I've found this true for German early 17th century lute songs
by Heinrich Albert), viol ensemble may work, but orchestra jobs should
be avoided..

My 12c lute is a copy of the Wolff lute in Füssen. I had it built in
its surviving size, i.e. 66 cm VSL. You may say, that's a tiny
instrument, but the belly yields a surprisingly strong sound.

Mathias