It seems we have at least 5 different threads going here under the same
   heading. I think several are still worth discussing so maybe we could
   divide them up somehow?
   1. split string early 16th century where one fingers only one string of
   the course but strikes both Capirola etc.
   2. hitting just one string of a bass course on baroque lute (Mouton,
   Beyer etc. )
   3. Corrette striking  just octave  on guitar 1760
   4. Renaissance guitar split 4th as suggested by Michael Fink
   5. vihuela stringing octaves or not

   [1]Avast logo