Thanks for the comments. Yes, Steve Herberman is dealing mainly with
   contrapuntal devices. How well they they would transfer to Dm tuning
   remains to be discovered. I have seen many harpsichord players rip
   through similar devices many times, and have been duly impressed. I
   once joked to a harpsichord player "Now do it a semitone higher", and
   without batting an eyelid, he did...Steve Herberman and Ted Greene are
   the only guys I have seen who can do that on a guitar, which is closer
   to the lute than a harpsichord. The thing is, Steve has worked out a
   system. I might buy the course to see how he does it.
   So much for contrapuntal improv. What about the topic of introducing
   improv ideas and concepts to "post beginners"? I'd like to see improv
   becoming more normal in our learning process, not something to put off
   until you have hopefully mastered the instrument (as that will never
   happen). For this to happen, we need educational material at stepped
   levels. Something for our lute societies, perhaps?
   Rob

   On 2 July 2015 at 07:05, David van Ooijen <[1]davidvanooi...@gmail.com>