Lots of interesting comments from a few contributors. There seem to be a number
of issues.

1. Original source material, for lute, baroque guitar, certainly, but other
instruments too. All that must be looked at and absorbed as best as possible.

2. Stylistic details - what we do for Weiss we should probably not do for
Robert de Visée. We have to be careful here, while at the same time expressing
ourselves.

3. Decoration of given material, especially on repeats. Most of us would work
this out in advance for a recording or important gig, but relatively free
decoration should be explored at home.

4. Improvised composition. This could be a Prelude, for example, or an entirely
new piece within a dance style, or an abstract style such as a fugue. It is
here that Steve Herberman, I think, gives us ideas, albeit on a seven-string
guitar, that we could explore on baroque lutes or arch lutes. I don't see this
approach anywhere in the lute or baroque guitar literature, though I'd be happy
to be pointed towards an original source which helps me play a fugue, for
instance. There are moments in that video where Steve closes his eyes, and
really improvises in two parts, in a baroque style. Let's be honest, there are
not many of us who could do that on our lutes.

5. I guess my overall point is that there is no one book today (that I am aware
of) that teaches baroque lute improvisation, or "live composition". Yet Bach,
Weiss, de Visée, etc, probably improvised every day of their professional
lives. I would like to see more of it, but also support materials for those who
would like to give it a try.

Thoughts?

Rob

www.robmackillop.net