Greetings all.  I’m not even the last guy you would ask for an opinion on
historical authenticity, but I have several times played this concerto on
classical guitar, accompanied by both piano and string ensemble.  My read is
that this is a musically very satisfying performance.  I really enjoyed the way
that the lute was able to take the principal role as the solo instrument
should.  It’s true that the single stringing on the instrument gives it a
certain resonance that approaches the sonority of the guitar, but that poses
absolutely no problem for me.  On the contrary, that “single-mindedness”
really helps the lute stand out against a very busy background.  Truth be told,
though I’m very interested in the historical integrity of an interpretation,
that aspect is, for me, secondary to the musical satisfaction.  Sometimes the
historically correct version is the most musically satisfying; other times it
is not.  But I do feel that the intellectual exercise of authent!
 icity is a secondary concern to the aesthetic satisfaction of a performance,
one that can make the listener vibrate.  All best, Robert

Robert Gallagher
Tour Béryl BAL 68-3
40, avenue d’Italie
75013 Paris FRANCE