1. Hang the string from a hook or door handle, attach an object on the other
end which weighs approximately the same as the tension when tuned up on the
lute.

2. Take a rag or paper towel (folded up) and squeeze a bit of Crazy Glue on it.

3. Quickly pass the ‘moistened’  part of the rag down the string from the top
to the bottom end, so as to distribute the glue to penetrate. NB Avoid getting
your fingers stuck with the glue, if stuck then acetone will dissolve it.

4. Unattach the string and install it on the lute.

PS This method was suggested to me by Eliott Chapin.

Miles