I play an 8-course, 59 cm lute, nominally in G (A c. 430), with 0.42 mm
treble gut from Gamut.  The strings may last a while, but fraying and the
resulting compromised tone can occur early on.  In some cases I can turn the
(unshortened) string around and avoid bad patches near the nut or plucking
zone.  I would, nevertheless, prefer to change strings less often, but I love
the sound of gut!

Thanks,
Leonard