   From: Mimmo - Aquila Corde Armoniche <mperu...@aquilacorde.com>
   Date: 1/20/18 1:54 AM (GMT-07:00)
   To: Lute List <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: String tech

   (Well. Sorry for the long post but I think than many can be interested
   )
   Many thinks that the 1st lute strings of the past were better: the only
   source I know that testifies that is Baron (1727).
   He wrote that  there are instances were a roman 1st last till 4 weeks.
   Well,  many of the surviving lutes(5 course guitars (in mean those not
   modified whose the original pitch standard can be supposed. They are:
   the 13 course german baroque lutes, 5 course french guitars, venetian
   lutes of 56-58 cms scale: 'mezzo punto' venetian pitch) has their
   working index ranging from 225 to 235 Hz/mt.
   Considering that on the graphic stress/strain, a thin gut string stop
   to stretch around 2-3 semitone before the breakage (Daniello Bartoli
   1678: 'a string breaks when it cannot stretch furthermore'), I come  to
   the conlusion that the lute/guitar 1st strings of the past had the same
   breaking point of those made today, i.e. 34-39 Kg/mm2.
   Instead, their lifetime was probably  longer.
   Well guys, generally speaking, I agree to what  Ed wrote.
   However I would like to point out that, a few years ago, I was very
   luky to obtain by chance a few gut strings .38-.46 mm gauge  (beef)
   whose breaking index was of 310 Hz mt (!) and the lifetime around 2
   months (Lynda Sayce, Caludia Caffagni feedbacks): no vernish, glue or
   superficial coatings were employed: they were just rectified by
   uncenterless machine and then oliled.
   This is what happend to me.
   I am pretty sure that potentially we stringmakers can reach a similar
   goal even with lamb gut.
   Unfortunately I was not ables to do the job again:  the raw gut ribbons
   must have some critical features that are not commonly available today.
   In fact I was not ables to have that kind of gut again. That's pity.
   I remember that I have done a short article on the UK lute society.
   I have another thing to say: A. Kirker (rome 1650) wrote that the lute
   1st strings were made from 1 unsplit lamb gut. Well, I was always
   skeptical on this subject (Kirker was not a stringmaker). Well,  a few
   months ago I was ables to make a 1st string starting from a single thin
   mongolian lamb gut and it was an amazing experience:  I polished the
   string in gentle way by hand; the final gauge was .40, the string was
   even on its whole length;  the breaking point was around 35 Kg/mm2. In
   practice it breaks to A note on my lute of 61 cms. The sound was so
   beautiful. I had no time to verify the lifetime. Again: i am fightring
   to have more of that gut buti t is not easy; the diameter of ther gut
   do not meet the necessity for sausages so for the mongolian workers  IT
   IS A WASTE. Crazy.
   In conclusion:  there is space for all the stringmakers to done the
   job: researches and tests. Go ahead guys.
   Mimmo