The frets should work out- but I keep burning my feet trying to tighten the damn shoelaces...:-(.
Dan
On 3/11/2018 4:03 PM, Mayes, Joseph wrote:
Wow!! Thank you Sterling!

This will save on fret-gut and that's great! But think of what I will save on
shoes!!!

Joseph Mayes
From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu <lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu> on behalf of spiffys84121
<spiffys84...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2018 7:20 AM
To: Lute list
Subject: [LUTE] How to tighten frets

    I was going to make a video, but I think a few words will suffice.

    To tighten a loose fret, move the fret up to a very loose position
    until you can push one end of the fret through the knot. Pull it as
    tight as it will go just as you did when originally tying the fret.
    Usually you will get only a few millimeters of extra. Now, burn the
    existing bit with a soldering iron or match or flame-thrower or however
    you make heat. Put the fret in position. Now you'll never have to use
    ridiculously lame shims under your frets again.

    The very first time I put frets on a lute as a kid I said-"oh, you can
    tighten them if they get loose." And ever since then I've wondered why
    people use shims, or even the completely baffling practice of replacing
    loose frets. "Do they," I wondered "replace their shoe laces every time
    they tie their shoes?"

    Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I think we can end this strange shims and fret
    replacing practice in our lifetimes.

    Sterling