   Von: G. C.
   Betreff: [LUTE] Re: RH folk style
   Datum: 01.08.2019, 21:46 Uhr
   An: Lutelist

   Eloquently said Ron, as always!
   G.
   tor. 1. aug. 2019 kl. 21.28 skrev Ron Andrico
   <[1][2]praelu...@hotmail.com>:
   Relax, Howard. No one is on trial here. Perhaps anathema is a
   less
   apt choice to describe alternatives to a right-hand position for
   playing post-1600 repertory on proper lutes. But for all
   intents and
   purposes, thumb-under technique is certainly not an historically
   appropriate right-hand position for what we call baroque lute.
   That is
   not to say it was never used, but Besard (Dowland) and Vallet,
   said it
   in print, and there are countless pictorial representations from
   the
   period that strongly suggest the right-hand thumb was very, very
   much
   out.
   This is a difficult truth to countenance for all those notable
   soldiers
   of the famous 1970s thumb-under brigade, who fought long and
   loudly to
   distinguish themselves from lute-dabbling classical guitarists
   (even to
   the point of eschewing the wearing of the ceremonial black
   turtleneck),
   but it is a truth nonetheless. I'll say it here: Based upon the
   body
   of surviving evidence from the period, lutes with diapasons
   designed to
   be used for post-1600 music were historically intended to be
   played
   with the right-hand thumb out, not under.
   RA
   From: [2][3]lute-...@new-old-mail.cs.dartmouth.edu
   <[3][4]lute-...@new-old-mail.cs.dartmouth.edu> on behalf of howard
   posner