I, too have had issues with octaves on the 5th course of my 8
   course lute.  I tried it several years ago, using an octave half the
   diameter of the bass (all in gut).  But, whereas the octave g on 6th
   blended well with its bass, the octave c stood out, sounding jangly,
   almost as though I had a metal string on there.  Perhaps it was poor
   (thumb-in in this case) technique?  At any rate, I switched back to
   unison.
      I'm trying octaves again as a result of this discussion, same
   stringing.  One thing I paid careful attention to was the height of the
   octave: it stood a mere half millimeter above the bass at the bridge,
   but enough that I was striking the pair of strings unevenly, with the
   octave ringing out quite plainly.  I adjusted the bridge knot, what
   little I could, and the sound improved somewhat.  Perhaps further work
   with RH technique will further improve the sound.  Or--any other
   suggestions??
   Regards to all, and Happy (US) Thanksgiving!
   Leonard Williams