   From: Anthony Hind <agno3ph...@yahoo.com>
   To: Leonard Williams <arc...@verizon.net>; daillie
   <dail...@club-internet.fr>
   Cc: lute <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Thu, Nov 28, 2019 3:32 am
   Subject: Re : [LUTE] Re: Unison C string on 8c lutes
   Could it perhaps be  Leonard, that the grooves at your nut at 5C was
   set up for your thicker unisson strings. Something similar happened to
   me on my 11C lute, when I replaced Venice twine unissons on F4 with
   equivalent thinner loaded strings. I heard a definite rattle. I put the
   Venices back and the problem went away.
   However later on my 3A unisson HT gut strings a  similar rattle
   appeared, I hadn't changed the diameter, but perhaps some wear had
   slightly widened the groove or the neck moved a little. I could have
   changed to slightly thicker strings, but a lute maker friend said he
   could lightly fill and raise the nut's groove with dentist's dentine.
   This did the trick, so this solution for changing to octaves could
   possibly work for you.
   On my 7C lute, on 5C, I have Venice twine unissons and like yourself, I
   have been thinking of moving to 1.00 Venice bass and 0.52HT octave, but
   I fear a similar problem will occur as the lute originally was set up
   for the unisons so with a wider 1.00mm groove
   Also, I imagine perhaps wrongly, that a 0,52 Ht gut string will last a
   lot less than a 1.00 Venice unisson.
   Am I wrong about that?
   Best wishes
   Anthony
   [1]Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
   Le mercredi, novembre 27, 2019, 8:33 PM, Leonard Williams