Unfortunately, the problem you're describing is caused by latency over
   the internet.  So, teleconferencing apps like FaceTime, Zoom, and Skype
   won't allow you to play with other musicians.  It will definitely sound
   like cacophony as you described.  Here's a good article describing the
   problem:
   [1]https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/online-band-practices-possible/.

   There are some workarounds for this in the form of certain apps and
   devices.  The problem is that if the app or device is intended to
   minimize latency and the further you are away from the other musicians
   and the slower your connection speeds, the more latency you will
   experience.  But it may be worth a try in these difficult times to
   connect with others to play duets and beyond.  Here are the apps listed
   in the article above:

   [2]https://www.jamkazam.com (a separate desktop device is recommended)

   [3]https://www.cockos.com/ninjam/ (this app doesn't appear to deal
   directly with latency)

   [4]http://llcon.sourceforge.net (this app appears to upload individual
   musician tracks, mixes them and then downloads the mixed result as a
   single track to each collaborator)

   [5]https://www.facebook.com/eJamming-368668856036/ (their website
   doesn't seem to be active)

   I have only had limited experience with JamKazam without the
   recommended device trying to play duets with a friend in our town and I
   quickly gave up on it.  My internet speed is relatively slow so without
   the device I was probably hindered in my ability to use the app.  It
   would be a good idea to search on the internet to see how successful
   these apps are before spending much time with any one of them.

   Hope this helps,

   Bill Eisele